My 2022 Painting of the Year

Nr. 2022-D-06-01,  2022,  acrylic on handmade Indian paper, 28.5 x 18”

Time to wrap things up for the year here at Art & Argument. Over the course of the last few months, Judith Trepp and I have been working together on a chapbook that will feature her art and my poetry. It's called Something Other Than This, a title which derives from my "proposition" poems, published on this site earlier this year. I reworked those poems and adapted them into a single work that runs through the book. In working with Judith to select the artworks, I knew that this one had to be included, and featured prominently. In our book, it serves as the penultimate image. Just on an immediate level, I love the color. And I like how the composition is "incorrect," being top weighted the way it is. What we have then are two forms, which can be seen as ponderous as boulders on the one hand or as weightless as balloons on the other. Most of all, what propels the piece is the the dialogue between the forms. That and the foregrounding of texture, both in the paper on which it is painted and in the way the painted, suggesting subtle topographies. Therefore, after a careful consideration of these factors, I declare this my Art & rgument Painting of the Year!



Comments

Popular Posts