Magnhild Øen Nordahl's Artful Knots

I was watching a Netflix show the other day and at one point the characters were working on a farm and tying knots to secure a fence gate. And I thought about how knots are a whole thing unto themselves, objects of study, something that a certain kind of competent person has immense skill with. Well, I'm competent, but not like that. I'm pretty good with securing the best refinance deal for the house. That kind of thing. Writing, I guess. I hope. Changing the litter box in a timely manner.

Anyway, I was browsing the elegantly, aptly named website I Like This Art this morning, when I came across some works from the Norse artist Magnhild Øen Nordahl that incorporate knots. Bottom line, I just like the look and feel of them. She's just really good with tone and texture while creating suggestive compositions. And she creates tension by employing so utilitarian a thing as knots in service of the least utilitarian thing of all: art.

As a simple man, I was relieved that when she was asked in the interview accompanying the images whether the viewer needs to understand the full background implications of the work -- which, as he explains it have something to do Mathematical Knot Theory and the structures of DNA-molecules -- she responded:

"The strong physical presence is an important part of the work. I think it is a result of my joy in working with objects, materials and tools and a desire to share this experience with the audience. This is a work that has taken shape gradually, therefore not all formal decisions are accounted for in a literal way, and there isn't a list of things people need to know to 'get it.' However I think it can be more rewarding for many if they have the option to know a bit more, so I aim to be generous with providing information."

This is as it should be. When there's a concept in play you shouldn't have to know what it is to engage with the work in a meaningful way. This is why I hate it when I'm at a museum and a given piece makes no visual impact on its own and you have to read the wall text to get anything from it at all.


Comments

  1. Knots, to me, are mainly about seafaring. Hence, a Norwegian tying beautiful knots would be as natural an activity as breathing. Also, the pegs really touched me. So much quieter and more elegant than a nail.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts