Kathi Robinson Frank Abstract

Kathi Robinson Frank, Stone Ridge October, mixed media on canvas, 72 x 56 in.

I've said it before on this site, that if it is true that painting is over and that its time has passed, then it is irrelevant in the way that a Sonny Rollins improvisation is, which is to say, not very. Newness in music is all about electronics, which is great. I enjoy the timbres and textures of thoughtful electronic music, and really respond to inventive sampling. But I'm not going to stop liking and listening to Sonny. In the visual arts, installations and conceptual art reign supreme. Again, I'm totally -- or, shall we say mostly -- on board, and think it makes sense that many artists have little interest in painting. But nothing is going to stop me from loving painting, especially abstract painting. Basically the kind of art that flourished when Sonny Rollins first emerged. That whole mid-century thing. That's just what I respond to. Always have. And I'm glad that people still do great work in this vein.

I came across Kathi Robinson Frank when I received an email from Art Market Provincetown about her exhibition there this summer. When I was talking with a friend about her work I referred to it as fun. But that's not quite right. For example, the work shown here is mysterious, with the dark focal point suggesting either the shadow where we hide the things we don't want to deal with or the crevice from which life emerges. It melds a brooding quality with an appealing openness and the subtle complexity of a weathered wall. I guess what I meant is that there is evident delight in the potential of the materials and the endless play of possibilities in the conversation between color, line, and form. I look forward to seeing her work in person, perhaps in P-town. That is, if we decide it's safe to go!

Comments

  1. Nice write up, and I love painting and Sonny Rollins. I live on the other end of the Cape but laying low this summer. I miss Ptown. Thanks for the window into the art scene.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts