Sophie Taeuber-Arp


Everyone has heard of Jean Arp, but no one has heard of his wife, Sophie Taeuber-Arp. Okay, me. I hadn't heard of her until I came across a feature on her a couple weeks ago in the New York Review of Books. But it's a problem endemic to the art world. When it comes to fame and the litany of influencers, it's a man's, man's, man's world. But as far as I can tell, women have been there every step of the way during the last century of modern art. Certainly, when it comes to art as it's played out regionally and locally, women are at the forefront of everything that's going down. Maybe the fame game has always been biased toward the boys. Who knows. At any rate, I'm a sucker for geometric abstraction, and one can never tire of the circle motif. So here's some works from Sophie Taeuber-Arp from the 20s and 30s, exemplifying the constructivist style.





Comments

Popular Posts