Seasick Steve: Gentle On My Mind


In this time of runaway polarization, I have the fantasy that I could sit down with a Trump supporter and we could find common ground digging this performance of "Gentle On My Mind" while tipping a couple beers. Seasick Steve seems to be born for that John Deere cap, so there's some heartland cred. Before we sit down, though, each side needs to compromise. The Trump guy can't wear any MAGA clothing. And me, I'll agree to drink a Bud instead of a precious city-boy craft beer.

Speaking of "Gentle On My Mind," I love this song so much I made a playlist of covers, which are crazy diverse. I mean, Dean Martin and Aretha Franklin and Elvis all recorded this song, none of whom can be pictured stashing their sleeping bag behind a couch. I kept the Aretha and Elvis in my rotation because their renditions are just so good. But, Dean Martin? With a swinging big band arrangement? No. Just no.

Comments

Popular Posts