Sargent's Great Orchestra Painting

John Singer Sargent, "Rehearsal of the Pasdeloup Orchestra at the Cirque d'Hiver,"
oil on canvas, 22 1/2" x 18 1/8"

John Singer Sargent is a curious case in art history. He was not an innovator of style, form, or content, and therefore doesn't figure centrally in the standard recitations of the lineage and progression of modern art. Yet when you see his work in person - and they have a lot of it here in Boston - it's clear that there has been no better painter of oils than Sargent. It's hard to conceive of anyone handling paint better in terms of tone, brushwork, composition, and the representation of light. Gorgeous and wondrous to behold. His decision to focus much of his output on portraits of society figures hasn't helped his cause, but he was a society kind of guy. Perhaps just to prove that he could do impressionism and abstraction if he wanted to, he dashed off this gem sometime around 1880. Called "Rehearsal of the Pasdeloup Orchestra at the Cirque d'Hiver," this work is one of the most popular holdings of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Gazing upon "Rehearsal" certainly triggers some What If musings, but, hey, I've never once been bored or disappointed viewing any Sargent painting, even if it is a portrait of someone I couldn't care less about.

Note: I thought of this painting because I'm reading a terrific overview of classical music, Language of the Spirit, by Jan Swofford: warm, accessible, and lively; highly recommended. He's responsible for me going on a Bach binge over the last couple weeks. It's a glorious obsession, though I must confess that I hit skip when the organ pieces come on. I don't care if he's Bach. I hate organ music.

Comments

Popular Posts