The Power of Crackpot #1: "Back On the Chain Gang"



My favorite Pretenders song is "Back on the Chain Gang." Indeed it's one of my favorite songs, period. It was written as a tribute to original Pretenders guitarist James Honeyman-Scott, who died of a drug overdose in 1982, and its striding, propulsive bass line and chiming, majestic guitar refrains create an atmosphere of noble defiance.

The song attributes the OD to the machinations of a world too corrupt for her friend to survive in. In other words, he is portrayed as a martyr and a victim, which we know is a crackpot notion, but I'll be damned if the song isn't beautiful and inspirational anyway. Or maybe it's beautiful and inspirational because it's crackpot. A more measured response wouldn't move us, would it? I'm not sure who "they" are, but they won't defeat us. And I mean that. Here's the bridge:
The powers that be
that force us to live like we do
bring me to my knees
when I see what they've done to you.

But I'll die as I stand here today
knowing that deep in my heart
they'll fall to ruin one day
for making us part.
This is what I call a "repeat button song." It might be crackpot, but it makes me want to get back on the chain gang and keep on fighting that good fight: to always stand up for beauty and soul and generous hearts everywhere.

ADDITIONAL NOTES

1. Chrissie Hynde is a total badass with a completely original and recognizable vocal style.

 2. Young readers will want to know that the "ooh ... ah" background vocal part references Sam Cooke's immortal hit "Chain Gang" (1960).

Comments

Popular Posts