Musicians Who Paint #3: John Mellencamp

Folks, I've got a real sleeper here. In all my investigations into musicians who paint, I'd have to say I haven't come across any better than the lefty roots rocker John Mellencamp. Here's what he says about his work:"German painting remains the basic foundation for what I do, same as folk music is the foundation of my songs. Discovering Beckmann to me was like discovering Woody Guthrie or Bob Dylan." But he also incorporates the expressionistic graffiti look of Basquiat and the collage-like effects of Rauschenberg. It's almost like this is the best forum for his politics, as opposed to his music. Well, I'm not fully versed in his music, but his visual art is painterly and powerful.

Here's a nice little Rolling Stone interview with the artist.

CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LARGE FORMAT SLIDESHOW




View the previous installments of Musicians Who Paint: Paul McCartney and Joni Mitchell

Comments

Popular Posts