All of Them. I Read All of Them.

Whenever I'm asked what I'm reading I go blank, in the manner of Sarah Palin's infamous Katie Couric train wreck of an interview of 2008. So I thought I best proactively seize the opportunity now to lay it out there for you. You're welcome.

Websites:

For the arts I read The Rumpus, Slant, PopMatters, AllMusic, Robert Christgau, Metacritic, and some others.

For news, politics, and commentary I read Andrew Sullivan, Slate, The Daily Beast, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Daily Kos, The New York Review of Books, Daniel Larison, and some others.

For sports I read ESPN (everyday!)

Print Media:

Boston Globe, New York Times, The New Yorker, JazzTimes, and Downbeat.

Fiction:

Jennifer Egan, TC Boyle, Michael Connelley, Jim Harrison, Richard Ford, and lots of "hard boiled" genre crime fiction, especially when flying.

In the last year I also tackled Henry Miller's massive Sexus, Junot Diaz's celebrated The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, and Don Lee's novel of Asian-American cultural paradoxes The Collective, among a few others.

Non-fiction

Much of the non-fiction I read is in the context of my work. For example, over the summer, to prepare for an interview I read Nel Noddings' superb Peace Education: How We Come to Love and Hate War. I also read arts-related books such as The Poets of Tin Pan Alley, by Phillip Furia.

Every now and then I dip into the poetry of Afaa Michael Weaver, Leonard Cohen, Denise Levertov, and many others.

Comments

Popular Posts