Some Roden Crater Skepticism

Still not finished

My wife and I have been watching on DVD a terrific PBS series called Art:21, about leading contemporary artists in the 21st century. Among the artists profiled is James Turrell, an accomplished artist of light and space, who, with major funding from sources such as Dia Art Foundation, as well as from scores of private individuals, has made it his life's work to build a series of tunnels and observatories for viewing the cosmos in the bowl of an extinct volcano, called Roden Crater. Given that the work was started in the 70s and was to be completed no later than the 80s, and is still not complete today, my considered expert opinion is this:

Turrell has bamboozled and hornswoggled his donors into a land art boondoggle of epic proportions. (In all fairness, I might be overstating, but I really wanted to write that sentence.)


Comments

Popular Posts