Poem: Chet Baker Singing But Not For Me

We requested a return of those
Giants who once did stride the earth.
They sent in the clowns instead.
Unfazed we transposed them
To a higher register, there to reside
Among the poets and mystics,
Esteemed for how they laugh at
Time and money, money and time;
Fear of living outside the law;
Concern with playing in tune.
Still it was not known what to do about
The ambient roar of office building ac's,
All the fish on Celexa, and the
Dismal ascent of so many
Callow inquisitors.

*

I know, I said! I shall found a
Movement without manifestos and
Preside over weddings with
Random strangers exchanging vows. And
I'll share all those notes on greatness which
I have for so very long been keeping.
Finally, the masses shall learn
About Chet Baker singing
But Not For Me and the cardinal resting
In our weeping cherry tree!


M. Bogen
August 2024


Comments

Popular Posts