The Looked-Down-Upon Other As Friend

Just following up on the key teaching from Tuesday's The Way of the White Clouds excerpt, which is that "one should look upon all beings like a mother looks upon her own children, since there was not a single being in the universe that in the infinity of time had not been closely related to us in one way or the another." I've never practiced this principle in just this way, but have a couple variations of my own that I have come up with. 

Let me just say that I have a judgmental mind, just how judgmental compared to others I have no idea. But here's a scenario. I'm walking along and see someone and think to myself, that is one weird looking or stupid looking or angry looking person. Or maybe I just think that person is too fat. As soon as I become conscious of this I picture that person as a great friend of mine and we are sitting together laughing. 

Here's another variation. Near where I get my lunch there are two women who sit on the corner hanging out. They are unrefined and rough looking and likely are residents of the Section 8 housing across the street. Last week I thought to myself, for all I know one of those two is something of a spiritual master, possessing insights about life that I couldn't come close knowing myself. Why not? 

I think most of the wisdom of the world is unpublished. We know who the smart and wise public figures and writers are, but public figures and writers are a small percentage of the population. What separates them is not necessarily their knowledge or insight but rather their ability to present and express themselves publicly. Is all I am saying that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover? Well, more or less, yes. But it's easier said than done, and, more than that, it's good to not simply refrain from judging but to actively assess that person, that other, as an enlightened soul, as a friend. 

I don't know if my practice has had any impact on the frequency of my initial judgmentalism, but I do believe I've had success in keeping it from unconsciously proliferating, a phenomenon that causes no end of mischief in the world.

Comments

Popular Posts