Bryan Ferry Sings "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues"

Ask a hundred Dylan fans who the best Dylan interpreter is and not one of them will say Bryan Ferry. And they all would be wrong. It's too improbable I guess, given his glam associations. But get past the preconceptions, and you can hear that Ferry totally delivers the lyrics, and he does it completely in his own way. And the song. Damn! Easily one of Dylan's best, and certainly among his most indelible. From the famous scene-setting opening -- "When you're lost in the rain in Juarez and it's Easter time too" -- the whole song is nothing but quotable lines. My favorites include "I started out on burgundy but soon hit the hardest stuff" and "My best friend the doctor won't even tell me what it is I've got." Oh, then there's "She speaks good English and she takes you up into her room." But everybody's got their own favorites. It's that type of song.

Comments

Popular Posts