Poem: In the Best Possible Light

When I’m dead and gone,

When I have breathed 

My last breath

And uttered one last 

Useless complaint,

Will you paint me

In the best possible light?

Do this for me my friend

And I vow that I shall

Do the same for you.


When my last small minded

Judgment has been rendered,

And when I have failed

To live up to my ideals

For one final time,

Will you paint me in 

the best possible light?

Promise me this my friend

And I swear I shall

Do the same for you. 


When my last surge

Of envy has passed,

And when my last shot

At taking the high road,

Of being the bigger person,

Has been missed,

I implore of you to 

To find a way 

To render me in the

Finest possible light.

And if this you shall do

Out of simple human 

Kindness for me,

Compadre I pledge 

I shall do the same

For you.



M. Bogen, December 2021


Comments

Popular Posts