Corbu's Carpenter Center

 

I've walked by this building hundreds of times I suppose, and every time I think about it a bit. You can't just take it for granted like you can the Georgian buildings that characterize the old Harvard campus, which, when you do react to them, usually elicit pleasure and appreciation for their blend of elegant proportions with just the right amount of ornamental detailing. On the other hand, with the Carpenter I usually seem to argue with myself about whether it succeeds or not. Just the other day, though, I gazed at this particular perspective of the building and settled the argument once and for all: It does succeed, and it is in fact beautiful. It's not like it is beautiful despite the concrete, but because of it; not despite the lack of detail, but because of it. The cleanness of the angle that faces the sidewalk is is forceful and attractive. The texture of the concrete also pleases in its own way. And the stark surfaces really show off that tree to the left. The Carpenter is Le Corbusier's only building in North America. And if it isn't usually mentioned among his masterworks, I'm glad it's here.

Comments

Popular Posts