Dr. John: "Such A Night" (and Market Capitalism, Too)


When conservatives decry the lax moral state of American culture they blame the "liberals" and their supposed disdain for "Christian values." Yet wasn't it Judeo-Christian civilization that gave rise to market capitalism, which comprises nothing less than the Ground of our Being and whose motto might as well be, at least for the plentiful amoral ones (Christians included) among us, "If I don't do it, somebody else will"? If I don't sell bombs to the Saudis, somebody else will. If I don't present images of hyper-sexualized teenagers to sell my movie, somebody else will. If I don't market horrible crap to children, somebody else will.

All of this is by way of introducing this video of the recently-deceased Dr. John performing "Such A Night," which is built around the "If I don't do it" tagline, but in this case spoken by a guy whose best friend's girl is apparently more than ready to stray. "Such A Night" is just one of many, many, many highlights from The Last Waltz, a movie I've seen, I don't know, thirty times or more.  Farewell, Mac Rebennack. I'm betting that Crescent City musicians are well-represented in heaven.

Comments

Popular Posts