The Problem with the Examined Life

It was Socrates, or someone really smart, who said that "the unexamined life is not worth living." Well, I've pretty much always subscribed to that notion. And one thing I can tell you, now that I'm well on the downhill side of life, is that the examined life can be a real bitch. Lately, I've been replaying scenes in my mind where I said asshole-ish things to people close to me, not just recently, but decades ago. I really regret those incidents. I guess the good thing is that I've only got about a half dozen of them that stand out. Is it worth caring that much? I can guarantee you that Donald Trump is happier than I am, but then again, sociopaths are the happiest people alive. But somehow being more like them doesn't seem an option.

Comments

Popular Posts