Farewell, Walter Becker


Count me among the big time Steely Dan believers, a group I acknowledge is far from universal. Indeed, it is such common knowledge that the Dan trigger a love-hate reaction among listeners that the Onion published a mock interview a few years ago in which Donald Fagen, who co-founded the group with Walter Becker, explained "Why Steely Dan Sucks." I thought that was perfect, which is why as much as I love Steely Dan I've never been an evangelist for them. I mean, if you don't like this Dan song -- "Dr. Wu." -- you're just not going to like any of them. Although if any song could bring you around it might be this one. The sax solo is by the jazz legend Phil Woods. The perfect integration of his sound into the aesthetic demonstrates one of greatest strengths of Becker and Fagen. Why did I choose this song as a tribute to the recently deceased Becker? I don't really know. It was an intuitive decision, made in three seconds. Maybe it's because "Dr. Wu" demonstrates so well that Steely Dan have always been about more than just irony, sarcasm, and chops. Enjoy. Seriously.

Comments

Popular Posts