Can't You See?

I got a new haircut and I said to my wife it makes my face look rounder and shorter and she said no it makes it look thinner and taller. I have plenty of company. The women with the catastrophic cosmetic surgery aren't seeing what I'm seeing. The starlets shrinking each day on camera are not seeing what we're seeing. We can't even tell if a shirt makes us look fat.

How much harder must it be then to see properly our character, our spirit . . . our nature. I thought I was laid back but I wasn't. How do you miss that? The therapist or friend or enemy or spouse or mentor or student can help us see. Sometimes they do the opposite. You can learn from imperfect experience if you are smart or brave enough. Enlightenment moves us out of the darkness, out of perceiving existence the wrong way. Awakening is a matter of seeing, of opening one's eyes. I was blind but now I see. Whatever it takes to see more accurately is sacred, even if it hurts a lot.

Comments

  1. I can't wait to see this haircut.

    I don't believe there can ever be an "accurate" vision of a person because people see each other through the veil of their own baggage, expectations and that most debilitating of yardsticks: comparison to themselves.

    Age helps us assess our physical selves, but although I see myself in a more realistic light than I did 30 years ago, I still have only the vaguest idea what I look like to the world because the corporal aspect of oneself is only a fragment of one's appearance. Voice and cadence, elocution, mannerisms and manners, clothing, scent, energy, confidence and stride - they are all components of the physical.

    The only accurate vision of a person is glimpsed through the positive energy they exude, whether it pulses, flows or is entirely absent. By that, their heart and soul are exposed for all to see.

    So, in my opinion, the best person to tell you how you look is your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good when a post inspires a comment that's better than the original entry!

    I don't think I'll ever get used to hearing my voice in recorded form. I'm always like, Who in the hell is that? The deadpan comedian said that in his head t sounds to him like he's shouting. I'm sure he was exaggerating, but the point is a good one.

    Yes, I do believe in vibrations. The Sufis are good on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant the deadpan comedian Steven Wright.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts